Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 4 year old Siberian husky went potty outside and she seemed

My 4 year old Siberian husky went potty outside and she seemed to take forever getting the job done. When she came back in I noticed that her anus was very red and swollen. Prior to this she was acting normal and everything looked normal as well. I called our emergency vet line and they advised to bring her in the morning. Of course I am concerned so I want to know if this is good advice or if I should press the issue.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hello! Thanks for requesting me! I have a couple questions...

Have you noticed if Nikita has had any problems defecating?

Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Her belly feels normal.

Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information Fred. I really appreciate it.

I do agree with the other vet.

It's actually very common for a dog to have a bit of a swollen rectum right after defecating. This most commonly happens when the dog has had to do a little straining to get the feces to come out. It causes irritation to the rectum and that makes it seem red and inflammed.

Since she's otherwise acting normal, and since it just actually happened not long ago, I think keeping an eye on things is a completely reasonable way to handle this.

Keep an eye on her for things like being uncomfortable, not being able to lay down, not eating, or if it seems like her belly is getting hard or you notice things like vomiting or attempting to vomit. As long as she remains as stable as she is now, then watching her until morning is completely fine.

If you wake up in the morning and see it hasn'[t improved, then you can have your vet take a peek...just to be safe.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The vet mentioned the possibility of impacted or infected anal glands, would that show up that fast or is it typically more gradual?

Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
It depends on the dog. If she's been doing any scooting of her butt on the ground, or if you've noticed a fishy kind of smell from her, then it could have something to do with her anal glands...but again, that's not an emergency...seeing your normal vet in the morning for anal gland issues is fine.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you very much for your help. I definitely feel relieved! Smile

Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
You're very, very welcome Fred!!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification