Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a Siberian Huskey that will be 2 on Nov 20th. He just

I have a Siberian Huskey that will be 2 on Nov 20th. He just a few days ago has started this hacking and sometimes stuff comes up and my Huskey that is a year old has started to do the same thing, he is the son to my almost 2yr old, we live out in the woods and the weather has started to get colder they both love to be outside when its cold. We have to keep them on a chain when they are outside cause they like to go visit other farms and get into chickens. What can we do to help them or what may be wrong with them don't really have the funds right now to take them both to the vet.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

When was the last time the boys went to the neighbor's house?

Other than the coughing, do they seem to be acting normally?

Anyone doing any vomiting or having diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has been a while since they went over there and they both act just fine and still eat and they have no vomiting or diarrhea.

Thanks for the additional information Nicole. I really appreciate it. I just have one more question...

How long would you estimate it's been since they were over there? MOre than a week?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 9 months

Thanks again.

As with most things, in this forum it's hard to give you a 'for sure' answer about what could be going on with your dog and the cough. There are actually quite a few possibilities that range from the simple to the complex. Some of the biggest offenders are:

**Some sort of heart condition, such as congestive heart failure (also known as CHF):

**Upper respiratory illnesses such as bronchitis:

**Allergic reactions to inhaled substances such as pollen or dust:

**Kennel cough, which is most likely if your dog has been boarded or kenneled recently, or if your pup has been around a large number of dogs in a place such as a dog park.

**Canine influenza is not well known currently but is slowly working its way into the mainstream with more and more dogs coming down with it.

**Having a dog that is older or that isn't covered by a heartworm preventative can also develop coughs: ,

**Some breeds and some dogs are prone to collapsing trachea. This can be a chronic, degenerative issue that could impact the health of the dog. You can find more information on this particular issue here( and although this is an article about small breeds, there are large breeds with this issue as well):

**Finally, it could be that your dog is having what is known as 'reverse sneezing', which is pretty common in some dogs:

The easiest way to know for sure which of these problems is affecting your dog is to schedule an appointment with your regular vet. They'll do all the necessary work-ups (which may or may not include blood work and radiographs) to diagnose which problem your pup is having and the best course of treatment for you to follow.

Since both of your dogs are affeted, I suspect it's something like Kennel cough.

Of course, it goes without saying that if your dog is having difficulty breathing, experiences lethargy or you notice a bluish tinge to the lips, gums or tongue, you need to seek medical attention for your dog at once as this is a sign that your dog is not getting enough oxygen for some reason and needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps.