Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have a 18-20 year old pomeranian that has always been in

I have a 18-20 year old pomeranian that has always been in good health and spirits. She is a puppy mill rescue so she always begs for food, and is usually really spunky, even in her old age. On saturday she ate some pasta w/ heavy cream and threw it up. She hasn't been the same since. She has had bouts of loose stools and her eyes look glassy. She also has developed a white spot on her eye in the same time frame. This just is out of character for her. I figured she would just let it pass and would go back to normal, but this is day 5 and she's still not back to her self. She's been drinking, very little but walking to her bowl to drink, but hasn't really eaten anything. We've been giving her coconut oil and organic wheatgrass juice to help w/ vitamins and fats, but it doesnt really pep her up. (she's been on this combo before) She only had a few bites of sausage yesterday. She's on high quality food and completely holistic. Im not sure what to do. She isn't completely listless but she has been sleeping a lot. Should I take her in for fluids tomorrow? I think they'll just tell me she's old, blah, blah, but she's never been sick and has always been healthy/spunky. She's walking around and fine most of the time, but sleeping a lot and just seems really tired. Looking for a vet response.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX i am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Fancy Mae is not doing well.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. G. :

any vomiting or diarrhea since the fist episode saturday?

Dr. G. :

first*

Customer:

she had diarrhea a couple times yesterday. yellowish but some solid too. It was stuck on her fur which never happens

Dr. G. :

I see. Is she on any medications at the moment (including monthly heart worm and flea prevention)?

Customer:

no. she's completely natural

Customer:

she has a small heart block and some kidney failure but she's had that since 2005

Dr. G. :

I see. And does she regularly receive human food in her diet?

Customer:

she eats raw grass fed meat some, mostly raw

Customer:

she is a puppy mill rescue though she usually she begs for everything

Customer:

and she's not even doing that now

Dr. G. :

i see. The biggest concern here and most likely cause of the problem is the food

Customer:

bc of her kidney's we try to not let her eat too much meat, but she has never had issues before w/ any food

Dr. G. :

pasta with heavy cream and any high fat human foods routinely cause pancreatitis

Customer:

right..but im not sure how to fix it

Dr. G. :

She really is going to need medical attention

Customer:

it was about 5

Dr. G. :

Does she seem stable right now?

Customer:

pieces

Customer:

of small round pasta

Customer:

yeah she's just tired

Customer:

it was a small amount and she threw up all of it. the cream wasn't poured on top. it was mostly a pasta salad

Customer:

from a birthday party that morning

Customer:

and she's not eating.

Dr. G. :

5 pieces would be enough for a dog her size. My major concern is the raw meat in the diet. It is not recommended for dogs to eat raw meat in the same reason that it is not recommended for humans to eat raw meat. However that is ultimately your decision. Treatment for the current problem is typically medication to reduce nausea, fluid support, and medication to decrease inflammation in the GI tract. Given it is day 5, I would get her to a vet tonight rather than waiting. The longer we wait, the less likely she will recover quickly

Dr. G. :

Treatment may be started on an outpatient basis tonight, however if there is no improvement, she may need to be hospitalized for a couple days

Dr. G. :

Do you have a vet in the area that you can go to tonight?

Customer:

not here. IM from savannah and my vet is there. Even though she hasn't thrown up in 4 days

Customer:

my vet recommended her to be on a raw diet :/

Customer:

but not too much protein. Is there anything holistic I can give her for the nausea

Customer:

or does she definitely need fluids tonight?

Customer:

she's drinking water

Dr. G. :

As long as she does not worsen quickly, she may be ok waiting until tomorrow. The raw diet should be discussed with your vet based on your dog's history and medical past, however the American Veterinary Medical Association strictly recommends never feeding a dog raw meat (unless it is cooked!). If she is drinking well, she may not need fluids tonight. I would recommend over the counter medication to begin tonight for nausea. Typically famotidine (pepcid AC) can be helpful, however it is not as good as the prescription meds available. You can give her 2.5 mg (1/4 of a 10 mg tablet) every 12 hours to decrease stomach acid and reduce nausea until you can get her to the vet

Customer:

what prescription meds? My dad is a doctor and can call them in? can dogs take phenergan or anything like that?

Dr. G. :

I usually recommend plain boiled chicken and plain white rice when there is an upset stomach. You can offer some of that tonight

Customer:

she hasnt had any symptoms of an upset stomach today. is that normal before healing? She hasnt pooped at all

Customer:

yes I can offer that

Dr. G. :

The best medication would be cerenia, which is a pet only medication, however ondansetron can be very helpful and is a human medication.

Customer:

oh ok

Dr. G. :

how much does she weigh?

Customer:

4.7 lbs

Customer:

I have some zofran here.

Customer:

but that stuff is sort of brutal ha

Dr. G. :

typical dosing for a dog her size of ondansetron would be 1/4 of a 4 mg tablet. Ondansetron is zofran.

Dr. G. :

If you have that available, I would give plain boiled chicken and rice as the only food tonight and in the morning, and give the ondansetron. If there is no improvement by mid day tomorrow, get her to the vet for a good exam and either supportive care or diagnostics (mainly bloodwork and/or imaging of the belly)

Customer:

she smells metallic too

Customer:

is that something that usually accompanies pancreatitis

Customer:

it's like a weird smell but not infection

Dr. G. :

sometimes it does, however it can often be seen with other diseases too like kidney disease, which could have signs similar to what is going on today

Customer:

well that she definitely has

Customer:

is there anything to do w/ that?

Customer:

or is it the same symptoms? I just dont want her to die

Customer:

could that pasta have triggered something w/ her kidneys?

Dr. G. :

The pasta may have triggered off an upset stomach (either gastroenteritis or pancreatitis) that may just not be getting better due to the underlying kidney disease. She needs some bloodwork to get to the bottom of this. If her kidney values are not much above normal, this is likely just related to what she ate, however the kidney disease is a good reason for why she is not back to normal yet.

Customer:

ok.. well i may drive her home tomorrow to see our vet, if not ive asked for a good one around here. Is there anything I can do to help her kidneys if that's what it is?

Customer:

it's been controlled with diet since 05

Dr. G. :

Typically kidney disease is mainly controlled via diet until the very late stages. Mixing water in with food (typically a canned prescription diet is used) is the first step to increase water intake. Late stages can often require fluid support at home via giving subcutaneous fluids (under the skin) multiple times a week

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

thank you for taking the time to help Fancy

Dr. G. :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best with miss Fancy. Have a great night

Customer:

thank you. you too.

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian