Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My French bulldog is 19 months old and hasnt had health problems

My French bulldog is 19 months old and hasn't had health problems in the past. His diet has not changed at all.

He has a small lump on his hind right leg that is soft and fatty. It was the size of a quarter a week ago but about the size of a nickel this week. I can move it around.

Also around the same time the lump formed he has been scratching consistently. He has caused the back of his ears to bleed from scratching as well his skin is pink and he has a small pink rash on his stomach.

I'm not sure if these two are related or separate incidents. It has recently changed to colder weather here and I thought perhaps he was just suffering dry skin.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Does that lump seem itchy or painful to him?

Does he chew on his feet at all?

Does he have any dark reddish staining under his eyes?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

He doesn't even seem to notice the lump is there at all.

He does chew on his feet.

He has a brown/red mask to his face so it's hard to tell if there's staining other than the usual bulldog tear stains

Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Thanks so much for the extra information Lindsay. I really appreciate it.

First, I think that lump you've seen was likely some sort of insect bite. When these lumps get smaller, rather than bigger and don't seem to bother the dog, then odds are that it's some kind of an insect bite. If it's starting to get cold where you are, then it's likely it was some sort of spider.

As for the chewing at the feet and rash on the belly, it absolutely sounds like you're dealing with some allergies.

As someone who lives with an allergy dog herself, I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when you're trying to figure out what is causing your dog to be so miserable.

With my pup, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so it could very well be that if any of the dog foods you're using contain corn, that could be part of his problem.

We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check).

In the meantime, there are some over-the-counter, home remedy type things that you could try to keep him more comfortable:

*For some itches, we suggest soaking in a baking soda bath. Adding 1 cup of baking soda to a tub of warm water and then soaking 30-60 minutes. Take dog out and let them air dry (this works best if done outside or in an area where there isn't carpeting as wet dogs drip...a lot). Local itches can be covered with a paste of 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water.

*Oatmeal is an old favorite. Adding 1-2 cups of finely ground oatmeal to a warm bath sometimes can calm even the most irritating of itches. Just make sure the water isn't too hot, or you'll have breakfast for a week in your tub!

*Lots of folk remedies call for using lemon to help with itching. They contain anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce itching. If nothing else, your dog will smell good!

*Splashing the affected skin with basil tea can help reduce itching as well. Basil contains large amounts of a substance called 'eugenol', which is a topical anesthetic. To make the tea, place 1/2 ounce of dried basil leaves in a 1 pint jar of boiling water. Keep it covered to prevent the escape of eugenol into the air. Allow to cool, then dip a clean cloth into the tea and apply to itchy skin as often as needed.

*Mint tea works about the same way, except the anti-itch property is menthol, not eugenol. To make the mint tea add 1 ounce dried mint leaves to 1 pint of boiling water. Cover and allow to cool. Strain the leaves out and then dip the clean cloth in the tea and apply to the itchy areas.

*If you're saving the basil for spaghetti sauce and the mint & lemons for a glass of lemonade, you can use thyme tea. Once again use 1/2 ounce dried thyme leaves and 1 pint of boiling water. Cover and cool. Strain and use clean cloth to apply to affected areas.

I hope this helps!!

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lindsay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Loki. How is everything going?

Lisa