Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 9 year old female mixed breed had a bulge and a little blood

My 9 year old female mixed breed had a bulge and a little blood in her anal area. She has had no problems before this. She didn't act ill but I noticed the little bulge and blood. She went to the vet & he suggested a colonoscopy. Any other options or suggestions?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Where was the lump located, was it inside the rectum, or off to the side?

Have you noticed if she has a fishy smell?

Does she seem to be having any problems defecating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was inside the rectum & protruding a little. No smell.

No problem defecating but her droppings always seemed quite small.

Do you know what breed she might be?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

German Shepherd & chow mix

Perfect. Thanks so much for the extra information Sherrie. I really appreciate it.

It sounds to me like they checked TNT's anal glands and rectum, and it sounds to me like this might be an issue called perianal fistula. This can happen when a dog pushes too hard to get out a constipated fecal material, and this causes injury to the rectum that can take months (to years) to heal because it's in such a highly used part of the body. Additionally, certain breeds are more prone to these fistulas, and german shepherds are at the top of that list.

There's more information on them here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3061&S=0&EVetID=228974

and here:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-anal-fissures.html

Of course, it's hard to know if this is exactly what TNT has going on since I can't see her, but in my experience, it's one of those problems that can be hard to figure out, especially if the area is already healing and my not be as obvious as some other problems.

If TNT were my girl, I'd give the vet a call and ask if they think this could be what is going on with her.

There's a great site that goes over treatment options here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=3061&S=2&EVetID=286586

I hope thi shelps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is a colonoscopy necessary?

In my experience, we've never done a colonoscopy on a dog with a perianal fistula. Most vets will be willing to treat without the expensive colonoscopy...so talking to your vet to see if they think that's a viable option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm going to ask about the fistula. The dog is now at the Vets office where they are doing tests.

Thank you -I hope you are right. I'd like to tell you the results.

By the way, I come here quite a lot and sometimes I would like to speak to the same Vet. Is that possible?

I'd love it if you'd follow up with me!! You can always come back to this question for an update, even after you've rated/accepted this answer.

As for getting back in touch with specific experts, all you have to do is put their name in the main line...so if you wanted to get back to me, you'd put something like, "For cvt_in_mn only" and then all the others will leave it for me to see when I come online.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much.

I'm patiently waiting for an answer from the VET here.

You're welcome!
Hi Sherrie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tnt. How is everything going?

Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for caring. My dog had surgery for mild thrombocytopenia. She got a colonoscy with no abnormalities. A 1.5 cm polypoid rectal musocal mass was removed. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong - all I know is she is OK. I would have preferred less invasive things but............. I'm waiting for histopathology. I will tell you that if they found cancer I would NEVER put her through that. They had reasons your suggestions were not right for her & I understand that because you did not see her. I appreciate your help. I'll be back.

I'm happy to hear that she's on the road to recovery!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lisa, how do I go about contacting you again. I do have more questions about my dog since the vet received the histopathology.