Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My lab got his tail tip (about 1 inch. in the elevator door

My lab got his tail tip (about 1 inch. in the elevator door and it got amputaded right away), I'm feeling really bad right now...His last vertebrae is exposed, I rushed to the vet and I'm using antisseptic and some medication for burnt areas on the wound. Is there any chance of it healing 100% growing over the bone (considering the bone is exposed)? Will it have to be amputated?
It happened today, I'm feeling really bad.
Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
No, if there is bone exposed, it will not heal correctly, and will be predisposed to bad infection.

Definitely, a small piece of the tip of the tail will need to be amputated so the healthy skin can heal over it.

Very sorry to hear what happened, but accidents do happen. The only mistake you can make is not getting into the vet for surgical correction, and to start immediate antibitoics. Also, starting some good anti-inflammatory and/or pain medicine would be nice as well.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I was really concerned since he told me to wait some days to see how it would heal since her last tail vertebra is exposed.

I'm living abroad and there's a holliday coming in friday(so it makes a little bit harder to find a vet for surgery right away), I'm already using topic antisseptic and burn meds, antibiotics and anti inflammatory. Could I wait for the beginning of next week?

I also covered it in some gauze and bandage. My lab didn't try to lick or chew on it either.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
No, I would not recommend waiting. Beginning of next week is a lot of days to wait. I have got to encourage getting it treated sooner than later based on description.
Otherwise, you are doing the best you can.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She hallucinates really bad when going under sedation, and the timing of this accident...that sucks, i fell bad for her :/

It was not what I would like to hear, but I was looking for a confirmation, and I've got to agree with you.

Thank you Dr. Andy,

regards, Alexander.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Alexander.
Good Luck!

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Louie. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for replying. Well, the vet and I agreed to wait a little bit to see if any granulation tissue would turn viable some healing in the area. Thus, if not, she'd have to go under surgery.

Shes not in pain, the wound doesn't have any signs of infection or edema and is vascularized at some extent. The bone is exposed (and that's why I was/am worried that cicatricial tissue won't cover it up)

I'm cleaning it up 2x per day with clorexidine, washing it up with some physiologic saline and covering it up in antisseptic mixed with sugar and a phytoterapic med too.Covering it in gauze and elastic tape.

He told me that it would take more than a month to heal, if even so...so it turns greater the chance of infection, thus I think, and prefer that she'd go under surgery by the end of this week. What are your thoughts about the clinical treatment? Not viable?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,
I can't comment on this clinical course since I can't evaluate the tissue properly from here. I am concerned that it will not heal correctly. If I am correct you will know long before waiting 1 month, that it will not work and that surgery will be needed.

Good Luck!