Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 2 yr old Golden Retriever started excessively drooling this

My 2 yr old Golden Retriever started excessively drooling this evening. She is not at all a drooler. The amount of drool quickly forms puddles on the floor, saturates her neck and chest, and at most pours out of her mouth like water from a faucet. Her activity level, energy level, and disposition have not changed. She will not touch her dry food, but did gobble up some canned food. She is also drinking her normal water intake. Her urination and bowel movements are also normal. Also, her teeth and gums look good. I wasn't able to see her throat. She wouldn't allow it. I haven't seen any vomiting, gagging, or coughing. This hypersalavation has been going on about 5 hrs. Please help!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The two biggest causes of drooling in dogs is:

1. Some sort of dental problem. This could be from an abscess or even a fractured tooth. You're not always able to see these issues as they can sometimes have these problems under the gum line or in the jaw. Since this has come on so suddenly, and since Gracie is still a very young dog, it's unlikely that this is a dental issue.

2. Nausea. Just like humans, dogs sometimes get upset stomachs and that nausea causes them to drool excessively. This is often an acute (comes on quickly) issue that resolves on it's own within a day. The fact she hasn't been doing any vomiting or having diarrhea and is still eating/drinking and acting normally makes me doubt this is the issue, but in the absence of any other causes, it's the most likely reason.

Because she's acting mostly normal, I think it's okay to observe her for tonight and then re-evaluate her in the morning and see if the drooling has stopped. If it hasn't, then you absolutely need to have her seen by a vet, just to be on the safe side.

And of course, it goes without saying that if she starts acting sicker or shows any other unusual symptoms, then you should have her seen right away by an emergency vet rather than waiting until morning.

I hope he's feeling better soon!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My vet tech friend suspects a sore throat. We have recently had a sudden extreme drop in temperature here. Any info you can provide on that?
As a general rule, dogs don't get sore throats without being some sort of trauma. I really do feel like this is nausea...