Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

1. My Cocker Spaniel has a crusty nose that Ive been treating

1. My Cocker Spaniel has a crusty nose that I've been treating with olive oil, Vaseline, and vinegar at times. Seams to help somewhat. What would you recommend?

2. Also, one ear requires constant removal of charcoal coloured wax with a solution provided by the Vet. Is this a typical problem for this breed? We used a prescription from the Vet in the past year that worked for about six months. Should we be doing this repeatedly?

3. Another symptom of concern is a soft mass of flesh under his right chest where the top of the leg is joined. It doesn't seem to bother him with pain. He has had it for about six months.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is the soft mass moveable?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's soft to touch, like a small balloon, and it's moveable.

Thanks for the extra information Raymond. I really appreciate it.

Okay...so let's tackle your questions one at a time...

1.Dry, cracked noses are pretty commonplace up here in Northern MN in the winter. This is generally caused by a change in temperatures (although in an older dog it can also indicate a problem with the thyroid or even dehydration).Because she's a middle aged dog, I would have your vet take a quick peek at her, just to rule out any underlying medical causes for this problem.If the medical portion comes up clear, there are several different things you can put on your pups nose to soothe the chapped areas: Chapstick, Vasoline, but the one thing we use the most of here is a product called "Bag Balm", which can be found in any store like Walgreens, Walmart, ect. Applying the topical and then giving the dog a yummy treat to distract her will allow the ointment to work a bit better before she licks it off.

2. Dogs who have floppy ears tend to be very prone to ear infections. This is because the ears don't allow for very good air cicrulation. If the product your vet gave you does seem to help, then I would absolutely recommend using it once a month or as you deem it necessary.

3. It sounds to me as if that lump may be a lipoma. Lipomas,are benign (meaning non-spreading and non-dangerous) fatty tumors that are very common in dogs. Some breeds are more predisposed than others, but the fact is that any breed can get them.
Generally, there is no real treatment for lipomas other than surgical excision of the lump. Most vets will usually only surgically remove them if they're getting so big that they're causing discomfort or if they're in areas of the body that cause problems such as the under the arms or at the juntion of the body where it meets with a limb.
There's more information on them here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=455
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/lipoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is very helpful. Thank you.

You're very welcome Raymond!!
Hi Raymond,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Winston. How is everything going?

Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa,

Bag Balm has a good reputation. We applied it several times but it's difficult to stop Winston from licking the balm off of his nose.

Any workable suggestions outside of a muzzle ... don't think that would work either. lol

How about something like bitter apple around his nose...it's a taste deterrent...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where and how do you buy bitter apple?

You can get it at most pet stores...or online on Amazon.com.

Here's a link for it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bitter-Apple-Bottle-Ounces/dp/B00028ZMEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384833231&sr=8-2&keywords=bitter+apple