Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Rectal prolapse or hemorrhoid?

I can't tell if my dog has rectal prolapse or a hemorrhoid. How do I tell the difference?  She has a protrusion the size of the tip of your pinky that has been slowly growing for months.  Part of it is blue/black and the rest is pale pink.  She doesn't drag, but does lick.  I can assure you she is not constipated; however, she did have surgery to remove much of her intestine when she was young and her bum has pretty much always irritated her.  

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It's actually pretty easy to tell them apart.

A canine prolapse looks like this (keep in mind, this is a graphic photo of a dog's rectum): http://indianpetjournal.com/38-1311173422-1.jpg . It generally happens acutely and is pretty large. It doesn't usually grow over several months.

A canine hemorrhoid issue looks like this: http://virtuavet.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rectal-polyp-in-a-dog.jpg . This is the issue that generally starts small and stays that way.

Of course, the only way to know for certain is to talk to your vet and have them take a peek. My guess is that this is a polyp or hemorrhoid, but it's always best to have your vet take a look...just to be safe.

I hope this helps.