Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  After over a decade as a veterinarian I know peace of mind about your furry friend is priceless.

I have a 6 month old female Yorkshire terrier. I can tell she

I have a 6 month old female Yorkshire terrier. I can tell she has been teething lately, but tonight she was especially restless and agitated. Then I noticed she had spat out three teeth, but this is the part that gravely concerned me; the teeth were still attached to a tiny part, a slither, of her gums or jaw. She seems alright right now, her gums are not bleeding, still, I cannot explain why she would lose part of her jaw! She eats well, she has been receiving her shots regularly and the vet gives her a clean bill of health every time. Thank you so much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, welcome. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you.

I'm sorry Benjamine is worrying you. Sometimes the baby teeth will look as you describe and it is nothing to worry about - as long as:

- she hasn't suffered any trauma to the mouth or jaw. like being kicked
- she is not bleeding excessively from the gums

If those are not the case - and I'm sure you would have mentioned that in your question if that was the case- than she's ok.

The baby teeth, all teeth in fact, are held in place by a series of ligaments and soft tissue. I've seen baby teeth come out clean as a whistle, broken at the root end because everything gets dissolved or as you've described with the ligamentous and soft tissue attached.

Based on your description, I think she's fine. With losing so many teeth at once it's a good idea to stick with soft toys for tonight.

If you are worried, you can take the teeth to your vet tomorrow and have them take a look at the teeth that fell out. If they are worried by what they see they will want to examine Benjamine, but that seems unlikely.

I hope I've offered some peace of mind. I bet she's so cute!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, even after you have rated my answer. I know sometimes reading the answer raises more questions.

All the best!
DrB
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience: After over a decade as a veterinarian I know peace of mind about your furry friend is priceless.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you so much for your care and kindness. Regarding a possible injury, she has been so hyper tonight, that as I was working on my laptop, she kept biting the edges, really hard. I pushed her away several times but then gave up and let her have her way with it. Then I noticed she had peed on the floor (which is highly unusual as she is always so conscientious about this) so I lifted her up to clean it and those little teeth just fell off from her mouth on the floor. Now I'm thoroughly examining her mouth and I see no bleeding from anywhere. I did keep the teeth though and will be taking them to our vet tomorrow! I am grateful once again for your advice and for this amazing amenity. We are from Athens, Greece, nothing like this exists over here, everything is closed and it was just great being able to ask an expert and get such a quick, professional and compassionate reply. Take care! Niki

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
It is my pleasure, Niki. If she looks fine than she likely is fine. I'm glad you're taking the teeth for your vet to examine - just to be sure Smile

All the best!
Dr B
Dr. B., Veterinarian