Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi Candy one of my kitties was found to have struvite crystals

Hi Candy one of my kitties was found to have struvite crystals in her urine yesterday (blood and stool outside box). So they put her on an antibiotic (marbocyl) for 14 days and am now feeding her royal canin urinary s/o wet and dry Royal Canin Veterinary Diet - Urinary S/O LP 34. i have had to separate her from my other cats due to the special diet. my question is, should she be on this the rest of her life (?), is this the most economical of the struvite foods (I noticed eukanuba does one also)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Poor Buttercup, crystals can be very painful. I actually just had the same problem with one of mine and unfortunately it was a male and had to end up letting him go due to complications of repeated urinary blockages.

The SO is not life long it is used until the urine is free of crystals. I prefer Science Diet s/d to dissolve the crystals ( it is cheaper) and once the urine is clear then in our practice we normally switch to Science Diet UR for life. The UR would be completely fine for all cats to eat and will help reduce the risks of crystal formation in the male kitty.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also the receptionist said taper her into eating this at 10/90 at first and graduate for four weeks or so to transition from old food. do you recommend the same? or just switch to the urinary stuff. can you send me the links for the science diet foods and do i have to keep buttercup separate while eating the s/d and when do i need to get her urine checked again and when can i switch to the UR? the vet did not say (bad vets here) and also the receptionist said i have to feed her this forever and only buy it at the vet (i see i can get it online elsewhere so she can stuff it) as it was 17 euro for the dry and 17 euro for the wet.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to the s/d LINK

No we would not do a slow transition with the diet. In most cases that is recommended but not with medical conditions. Holding off for 4 weeks for full transition allows the crystal formation to continue.

We normally due the s/d for 3-4 weeks then recheck the urine and switch to the UR if clear at that time.The SO you are giving now can be used long term but we do not we only use it until the crystals are dissolved and then switch to the UR. Some of the reasons we often switch is due to cost alone as the Royal Canine is the highest priced.

I am not sure what the laws are there but here in the US a vet can not require that you buy only from them and must give a script if asked.I see no problem with trying to find the product at a cheaper price.