Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have rescued an English Bulldog that has spina bifida. He

I have rescued an English Bulldog that has spina bifida. He will live his life in a diaper because he is unable to control his body functions. The skin and tissue around his anus opening is always red and raw, and sometimes bleeds. Is there something I can do to help it heal? I put on the triple antibiotic cream at every changing and it doesn't seem to help.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Louie is essentially dealing with diaper rash...just like human babies who have to wear diapers. This happens because the plastic coating on the outside of the diaper doesn't allow the area to get fresh air, which helps to dry the area.

A couple things you could try would be.....

If possible...allowing Louie to be without the diaper for an hour or two a day would help the skin there dry up a bit. I know that no one wants to have urine and feces all over their house, so you'd either have to confine him somewhere that is easy to clean (like a tile floor), or if you live in an area where it's still reasonably warm, you could go outside with him for an hour or two without his diaper...that way there'd be no mess in the house.

You can also trim the area that is diaper covered so the hair doesn't hold on to the urine/feces and make the rash worse. Applying a talc based baby powder will also help if you apply it before putting the diaper on (of course, stop using the powder if your dog develops a reaction to it).

And of course, it goes without saying that the absolute best way to combat this would be to wash and dry the area several times a day and make sure to change the diaper frequently.

There's a great website here: http://www.vetinfo.com/preventing-dog-diaper-rash.html that discusses this in depth.

I hope thi shelps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will check the website. I do apply a talc based baby powder with every changing. I make sure I change him every 2 hours and do a thorough clean and wipe with each changing. He has some better days than others. I was just hoping that there was something more I could do. It looks painful!

I appreciate your help.

You're welcome Kathleen.

Give the big guy a scratch between the ears for me!!
Hi Kathleen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Louie. How is everything going?

Lisa