Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi, i own a nearly 3 years old Husky, female, Been fairly healthy

Hi, i own a nearly 3 years old Husky, female, Been fairly healthy her whole life besides a few scratches and a rattlesnake bite over a year and a half ago. Only thing recently was an ear infection about 1.5 months ago, was treated with "Otomax" and cleared up quickly and fine.
About three days ago i noticed a small, maybe 3x6mm, dark colored lump under her left eye. Today when i went to take a close look at it, it has enlarged to roughly 1.5x1cm, and is now red and looking like an open sore. It goes right up to the eyelid, but does not seem to effect the eye itself, it isn't bloodshot, and doesnt seem to be particularly painful to the dog. It does cause her discomfort when touched/messed with. Also, There appears to be another smaller red sore area on the top eyelid.

They're not the best, XXXXX XXXXX did take a couple pictures of the sore.,XrM27Oo#0,XrM27Oo#1
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Without seeing this in person I can not say with 100% certainty what this is.

Often a sore/swelling under the eye that opens is due to a tooth root abscess most often the carnassial tooth. Click here for additional information on this

It is also possible that this is due to some form of insect bite.

For tonight what I would suggest is using warm compresses on this area for 5 minutes every few hours. I would then suggest having your vet take a look at this tomorrow for a definitive diagnosis and to see if medication is needed. If due to a problem in the tooth often the tooth must be extracted.

I hope this helps and Kira feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can a tooth root abscess cause a sore above the eye as well? How quickly does such an injury get worse? Is there anything specific to watch out for in the case of an insect bite?

No this does not in most cases cause a problem above the eye but I can not rule it out. How long it takes for an abscess to open varies between dogs.

If an insect bit then you want to watch for facial swelling much like you would see with an allergic reaction and you want to watch for any of the skin around the area to turn black as things like certain types of spider bites can cause necrosis of the tissue around the bite.
Hi Timothy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kira. How is everything going?