Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog has been losing her appetite the last couple of days.

Customer Question

My dog has been losing her appetite the last couple of days. She has also been lethargic and not playful or herself at all. She has been pooping whole pieces of her dog food and also either throwing up or having diarrhea. She is a 4 month old husky
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I'm sorry to hear that Roxy is not feeling well.

Dr. Drew :

A young pup with these signs, would be suspected of having some possibly serious issues.

Dr. Drew :

Parvo virus is easily prevented via vaccinations, but if Roxy hasn't had a full set of vaccinations yet, then she is still very much at risk.

Dr. Drew :

Intestinal Parasites can also cause similar problems,

Dr. Drew :

and perhaps most seriously, a blockage from ingestion of a foreign object, could cause these signs.

Dr. Drew :

It can be very difficult to determine which of these is the cause, without a thorough physical exam, stool sample tests, and x-rays.

Dr. Drew :

Unfortunately, it's very risky to attempt at-home care in situations like this,

Customer : If she's got the virus is it treatable?
Dr. Drew :

as young puppies can rapidly decline in condition,

Dr. Drew :

It is treatable, with aggressive intravenous fluid therapy and other treatments in the veterinary hospital setting.

Dr. Drew :

without aggressive fluid therapy, death can occur due to severe dehydration

Customer : So our best option is to take her to a vet that can actually take a look at her?
Dr. Drew :

well, without having that done, you're limited to supportive care options, such as over-the-counter anti nausea medicines, etc, which may only worsen her overall situation.

Dr. Drew :

generally, when a dog is vomiting and having diarrhea, is lethargic, and not playful, it's worrisome -- and cause for action.

Customer : thats what I was afraid of. I'll get her to her vet today hopefully
Dr. Drew :

If there is anything else I can do to be of assistance, please let me know.

Dr. Drew :

if your'e not able to get her in,

Dr. Drew :

you'll need to try to start fluid supplementation,

Dr. Drew :

using a syringe or dropper,

Dr. Drew :

with a 50-50 mix of water and pedialyte

Dr. Drew :

or water and chicken broth

Dr. Drew :

to help prevent dehydration.

Customer : Ok. Thank you!
Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome.

Dr. Drew :

best wishes to you both. :)

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery