Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My Yorkie mix was vomiting for a day, could not keep anything

My Yorkie mix was vomiting for a day, could not keep anything down, then had very loose stools for a day. The next day she urinated in my bed while she slept,again the next day. She is 3yrs old and spayed. Do you think it is a bladder infection or a hormonal problem? She was urinating,while she was sick and I tented her skin and it fell quckly . She is on a rice and chicken diet for now and stools are formed and shes keeping it down. She did get into the other dogs food and didnt keep it down.She is running around and playing now what do you think?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs. I don't think it's a bladder infection. I think the urinating issue was more due to lethargy than an infection.

This is what I would do for now:
1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I have not checked my email, but took your advice and she is fine.Thanks!

Ok good, thanks for the follow up.