Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My chihuahua is breathing funny , and his mouth is open.He

My chihuahua is breathing funny , and his mouth is open.
He seems to wanna not wanna walk instead he wants to just lay down.
He's 8

very important...
Very concerned
He also is refusing to eat.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like he may have a bit of an upper respiratory infection. When there is an upper respiratory infection, they will often keep their mouth open to breath. They will also have a fever that contributes to the lethargy and they'll have a decreased appetite.

Given his age and breed, I would really want to rule out heart disease as that is a common cause of labored breathing. I would go in and get some x-rays taken of the heart and lungs. That will rule out heart disease, pneumonia, collapsing trachea and other airway diseases. If it's just an upper respiratory infection, then a round of antibiotics should get him back to normal.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh okay thank you....
What home remedies can I do to help clear his upper respiratory infection I don't have the money right now to get him anti biotics or taken him to the vet....

You can use saline drops in the eyes and nose. They make genteal artificial tears that you can put in his eyes and Little Noses nose drops that you can put in the nostrils. Do that 2-3 times daily. It just helps moisten the secretions and clear it up faster.