Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog is having difficulty urinating. I was wondering if there

My dog is having difficulty urinating. I was wondering if there are any general causes of this and what can be done.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tanner.
Is any urine coming out?
Is he repeatedly straining?
Any blood in the urine?
Does he appear relaxed/resting or panting a lot or agitated?

Is he neutered?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i just got home from work. My mother said it was just a dribble. She also said hes been making repeated trips to the back yard to try. he is relaxed and laying in his house and doesnt appear to be panting. he is neutered.

Okay Will,
Here's the problem. He's a boy! Boy's are much easier to obstruct with bladder stones, so that is a very real concern for him.

Generally, we see more urinary tract infections in females, but they can occur in males as well.

I asked about being neutered, only because unneutered males are greatly predisposed to prostate problems.

So, a dribble. Very tough Will. I have got to recommend at least considering the ER visit, only because I get really worried about severe bladder distension if no urine is able to be passed.

So, vet visit immediately. Early AM if you don't go to the ER. Expect urine testing, and probably an x-ray of the abdomen to look for bladder or urethral stones. As you might expect, we don't have the ability to treat this type of problem at all. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tanner. How is everything going?