Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog ate a raw hide two days ago. Now she has vomited all

My dog ate a raw hide two days ago. Now she has vomited all her food this morning. Then drank water and vomited again. Didn't eat all day today. Bad smelling gas yesterday. Now she has vomited two more times but only bile, some foam. Her stomach sounds are very loud. She slept almost all day. I will take her to the vet in the morning. Do you think the raw hide is not passing or is it and she is having a hard time doing so?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Toula. Sometimes raw hide can be quite rough on the tummy even if they are very used to eating it. Rawhide is high in fat and is hard to digest so it can set off the stomach quite easily. Depending on how big the piece she swallowed also its quite possible that she is having some trouble passing the rawhide through her stomach and intestines. Usually though this will eventually pass and they will start feeling better but you definitely want to have her checked out in the morning. I would not try to feed her anything else tonight and just let her have a small amount of water if she would like. You can also give her some pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight every 8 hours to help settle down her tummy. You can also give her Pepcid AC, a dog her size can have 1 tablet twice a day. This will also help settle her stomach down and reduce her acid production which just increases the irritation in her stomach. So you can give one or both of these tonight to help settle her tummy down and get her feeling better until she can be seen by your vet tomorrow to make sure nothing else is going on. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you it helped!
You are very welcome! I am glad to hear .
Hi Vivian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toula. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead