Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 8 y.o. female XXXXX XXXXX has red inflamed gums,I have

My 8 y.o. female XXXXX XXXXX has red inflamed gums,I have her on antibiotics but not sure of the dosage and for how long?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
What did the vet put on the label or is the amoxicillin not prescribed by your vet?

What is the pain medication he is on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

amox is prescribed, and the pain med is metacam.

Okay Susan,
What does it say on the amoxi label. If they are tablets, it should tell you how many mg's on the bottle, and usually, the vet will prescribe exactly how many they want you to give.

So, I am unsure of your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

25mg tablets, and med pain is according to her weight. Did my vet prescribe the correct med for Maggie? I understand what you are trying to figure out.

Sometimes, I have customers trying to treat their own pets with prescription drugs, and this can go horribly wrong.

metacam is a wonderful once a day non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. No concerns there.

Amoxi is a okay antibiotic. Generally, we would give an antibiotic for about 10-14 days depending on what we are treating. For me, personally, I prefer clavamox (which is a bit more broad coverage than amoxi for oral bacteria) or clindamycin. But, amoxi is okay.

More important then the treatment is the long-term plan. If there is periodontal infection, this treatment is not going to fix it. Only a dental cleaning will help the gums and address infected teeth.

Sorry for all the initial questions. Was trying to understand for sure why you were asking. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.