Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dog just ate a huge dark chocolate mocha brownie. What should

my dog just ate a huge dark chocolate mocha brownie. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
1. How much does your dog weigh?

2. It is one brownie, but large. As a guess, how much dark chocolate is in the one brownie. Nevermind the other ingredients?

3. How long ago was it ingested?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

he weighs about 65 lbs.

It was a pretty large dense dark chocolate brownie. There was also coffee in it.I got it from a bakery so I'm not sure how much chocolate was in it.

it was ingested about 20 minutes ago

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Okay,
Let's do it by size.

In itches is it 2 inch by 2 inch by 1/2 inch thick????
What do you think?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

like length x width x depth? it was a large brownie. I guess like 4 in x 4 in x 2 1/2

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Okay Lindsay. Pretty good size brownie.

But, I just utilized a chocolate toxicity calculator. At 65 pounds, with this type of chocolate you should be good up to about 3 ounces being ingested. At about 3 ounces, there is the risk for vomiting or diarrhea. At 4-5 ounces we have to start getting worried about heart rate issues and tremors.

I really do not believe there could be more than 3 ounces. Remember, the entire brownie is not chocolate! There is other stuff.

So, if super worried, and because it is within 1 hour, you could elect to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, give 1 to 2 teaspoons for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. ONLY use the 3% peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting. 1 teaspoon is 5ml of liquid.

Otherwise, you do nothing, and just keep a lookout for any vomiting or diarrhea. I think you are in pretty good shape!

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your help! You don't think the caffeine will hurt him?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Lindsay. may cause some temporary excitation/anxiety, but nothing more.
My primary concern is the vomiting and diarrhea.

You are very welcome. Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

One more thing, when would he start showing signs of toxicity if he ate too much chocolate?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Lindsay. It can sometimes take a few hours, and problems like diarrhea may not manifest for 24 hours or more.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

When will I know that he is going to be ok?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Lindsay. Well, if no serious issues within 24 hours, your in good shape. The more serious issues like having accelerated heart rates or tremors usually would have occurred within about the firstXXXXX Andy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Some things aren't really matching up. I just felt 6 oz of coffee and it was significantly lighter than that brownie. Also, you're saying that your primary concern about him ingesting the caffeine is the n/v/d, but may or may not recommend that I do something to induce vomiting. Which I suppose it's now too late to do.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Lindsay, you can't measure that way. It is not based on direct weight. The brownie is not pure chocolate. Otherwise, it would be essentially more like fudge.

You still have an option to induce vomiting if you want to get it out of his system.

Remember, even if you didn't get it all out, getting even 1/2 out is really good as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok, thank you

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck Lindsay, and I hope my responses this evening have been satisfactory?

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management