Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My son dropped a Advil Congestion relief tab on the floor,

My son dropped a Advil Congestion relief tab on the floor, and one of our German Shepherds got it. Is there anything we should do? This was an hour ago and both seem to be fine. Tab is 200mg ibuprofen and 10 mg Phenylephrine. Dogs are 3 and 4 yrs. of age. Taking no other meds and have no condtions. Weight is 65 lbs. and 100lbs. Appreciate your help :-)
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
The good news. They weigh 65 and 100 pounds! Great. For a maltese, I would have been a bit more concerned.

For the ibuprofen, let's pretend we wanted them to get it.
The dose is roughly 2.5 to 4mg per pound. So, for even the smaller dog that is 65 x 4 or over 200mg.

Definitely, not a high over dose at all.

I would still monitor for any vomiting or diarrhea, but not expecting much to happen. If they recently got the pill, giving them each some extra food right now (just their regular food) might help the stomach a bit as well.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate it. I will go and give them some extra dinner, which they will enjoy, and my mind will rest easier. Have a great night, and thanks again Smile

You are very welcome. Just keep a look out. Even diarrhea can take up to 2 days before you see it.