Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog is 7 mths, 45 lbs. and just ate 5 raw crescent rolls

My dog is 7 mths, 45 lbs. and just ate 5 raw crescent rolls off my counter! What should I do?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Are these the crescent rolls from the can, or homemade?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are from a can.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I read to give her pumpkin so I just gave her some canned pumpkin - not too much, but probably about 3 tablespoons.

Thanks for the additional information Caryn....I really appreciate it.

The biggest concern I have with the cresent rolls is that the uncooked bread is going to rise in her stomach. This can cause a dog to have significant digestive problems including bloat.

The best thing to do is to get her to vomit up the rolls. The way to make that happen is pretty easy and instructions can be found here:

If you're unable to get her to vomit, I would recommend you have her seen by an emergency vet. The bread dough can be very be very toxic to dogs. The process of rising of the dough, the yeast produces ethanol. Dogs that eat raw bread dough may have a toxic reaction to the ethanol.

Signs that there could be a problem would be significan behavior changes, weakness, staggering, depression, and anorexia or lethargy. If this goes untreated, there can be respiratory problems, cardiac issues, and coma.

I hope this helps.

Hi Caryn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your email. You were spot on about my dog eating the raw dough! I took her immediately to the emergency room where they got her to throw up. It was already expanding in her stomach. She responded really well to their treatment and I was able to take her home after about 45 minutes. I am SO thankful! My little ones were so upset and being a new dog owner I wasn't aware of how dangerous it could really be.

Thank you, thank you!

You're very welcome Caryn! I'm happy to hear that everyone came through with flying colors and from now on tell your puppy I said only COOKED bread products from now on!!