Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

I was told that my dogs liver has been damaged very badly

I was told that my dog's liver has been damaged very badly by the vet of VCA All-Care Animal Referral Center after the exam done at the center two weeks ago. Yesterday he vomited suddenly and became restless. He was pacing back and forth in backyard all day. This morning I found him lost his eyesight and can't hear well either. I took him inside the house and he laid down and no energy to get up. He seems in great pain because his body is shaking. Does it mean he is going to leave us?

Theresa :

I am so sorry to hear this. Kohza does sound very ill at this point and I highly recommend a trip to your vet or the emergency vet immediately. If his gums are very pale it may mean that a mass in the liver has ruptured and he is bleeding. If his bleeding was very fast and is now minimal it is possible he is near end of life if this was the result of bleeding.

Theresa :

Now my other question.

Theresa :

Can you describe the trembling? Could he have had a seizure?

Theresa :

Basically, it does sound like symptoms of shock. During times of shock many body systems essentially shut down to keep the main organs functioning as best as they can like the heart and brain. It is a protection mechanism. There could be several causes for his symptoms currently which include an abdominal mass or rupture of an abdominal mass, gall bladder rupture which too could have caused changes in his liver enzymes two weeks ago, severe pancreatitis, etc.

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

he stops trembling now, he is barely breathing now. he has diarrhoea but no pee

Theresa :

Are there any emergency vets in your area?

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

I don't know. is my Kohza suffering now?

Theresa :

I do feel that it is possible that he is suffering yes. It is hard to say without seeing him and knowing exactly what is going on whether he is in shock or not. If he were in shock he probably at this point isn't aware of what is going on. Are his gums pale? Does he respond to you when spoken too?

Theresa :

Where are you from and can you locate an emergency vet online?

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

no his gum is not in pale. he did not respond to me

Theresa :

What color are his gums?

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

I check online there is on emergency vet in hacienda heights

Theresa :

Yesterday did his abdomen appear very enlarged?

Theresa :

Can you call them?

Theresa :

Do you have someone that can take you there with him?

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

no,

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

I am alone

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

i'll call to make an appointment now. but I don't know if I can afford it

Theresa :

Okay, please contact the emergency vet while I am online

Theresa :

This is an emergency so you won't be able to make an appointment you will need to get him there ASAP. See if you can find a neighbor to help you lift him.

Theresa :

If he is near end of life and you have cost issues they can euthanize him humanely if you cannot afford too. This will help to end any suffering he may have.

Theresa :

I know this is very frightening for you and hope that you can find someone that can meet you there or help you to get there.

JACUSTOMER-hip3yz8o- :

thank you. got to go now

Theresa :

Good luck. Prayers for you.

.