Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog (he is a Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso) has what appears to

My dog (he is a Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso) has what appears to be a severe infection in his tail. The tip inch appears dried up and black. We noticed a problem when he stopped curling his tail in the usual position, and began dragging it. We took him to the vet, and she thought it was a muscular issue and prescribed an anti inflammatory. The tail dragging persisted, so at the groomer, I asked them to trim his beautiful tail so that it wouldn't drag. The trimming exposed the tip of his tail that was clearly the issue. We only noticed him chewing at his tail in the last couple days. Prior to that, he was focused on the base of his tail. We have him in a "cone of shame" to eliminate the chewing on the hot spot.
We are taking him to the vet this morning, but I want to make sure that we are thinking of everything, and covering all of the possible causes. Any ideas?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It actually sounds like that end of his tail got injured and is dead.

We actually see that a lot in dogs who get their tails caught in the door or someone accidentally steps on it.

I would ask the vet to x-ray. If this truly is a disc issue, they'll see it...but ask them to be sure to get his tail in the radiograph...I suspect you'll see a break at the end of the tail..probably just ahead of where the blackness begins.

If it turns out that this is a dead tail tip, then they may have to remove that part of it. Dogs nerves go all the way to the end of the tail, and if he's chewing at the base of it, then he might be dealing with a little referred pain...sort of like when you have a toothache on the lower right side of your mouth, but when the dentist looks, they see the broken tooth on the top...the body refers the pain to another spot.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the dead tail's an easy fix!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Lisa. I appreciate you answer!

You're very welcome Max!!
Hi Max,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gizmo. How is everything going?