How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16186
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 2 new puppies injested rat poison yesterday. We brought

This answer was rated:

Our 2 new puppies injested rat poison yesterday. We brought them to the emergency vet last night. The vet said they looked and were acting fine. She said an anticoagulant would counteract the poison. She asked if they were coughing but they were not. She said to give them Vitamin K today from the drugstore. One puppy is 3.75 lbs and the other is 4.8 lbs. she said to give them 5mgs of vitamin k for the smaller puppy and 8 mgs of vitamin k for the larger puppy. Is this the right dosage? Also now this morning the one puppy is coughing. Should I bring that puppy back into the vet? Does the coughing mean he is getting worse from the poison?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Unfortunately, these types of poison kill the mice/rats by interfering with the clotting cascade...meaning that they bleed to death because they're unable to form clots. The same thing happens when your dog ingests the poison. I noticed that in your question, you stated that the vet said an anticoagulant would counteract the rodenticide, and I'm hoping that they didn't give her an anti coagulant, but rather a coagulant...if they gave an anti-coagulant, it likely made the problem worse accidentally.

 

The coughing can indicate that she is getting worse, so the best thing to do is to at least give your regular vet a call and see if they think she needs to be seen. If they do, then they'll get her started on a regimen of IV Vitamin K, rather than the oral, which binds with the rodenticide and helps with the clotting factor. They'll also run some blood work to make sure that her kidneys and liver are not being affected and check her clotting time to judge how much damage has been done to her clotting cascade. They may want to start her on an IV to flush her system a bit.

 

With early intervention, these dogs do well...so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the positive outcome!

Lisa and 4 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you