Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

hi my dog is male and is 3 years old. he woke up this morning

hi my dog is male and is 3 years old. he woke up this morning shaking/shivering and in pain and yelp while I tried to carry him or touched his hind legs (upper part near). He seems to be in pain while I tried to help him up. He is lethargic, not even scratching himself or play his game.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is it his hind legs or front legs?

Does he cry if you press on his abdomen?

How is his appetite today?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hind legs (not the lower part of the legs but near his butt). lower abdomen pain. he finished his food though. But whenever i take my meal, he will be interested and come near. Today he didnt.

Sometimes dogs have issues with the anal glands. The anal glands are located just inside of the rectum. There are two drainage ducts that allow the anal gland material to drain out when the dog has a bowel movement. Sometimes those drainage ducts become blocked and the glands become too full. The glands can also become infected. It is pretty easy to treat. First, I would have a veterinary nurse, or the vet, check the glands and drain them. This is done by inserting a finger into the rectum and manually draining the material out. If it looks like "pus," he will be sent home with antibiotics.

He could also have injured his lower back or hips. I am thinking you can give him an aspirin for pain this evening. The dose is 5 mg of aspirin, per pound of dog, every 12 hours. For example a 10 pound dog would get 50 mg of aspirin. Give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

If he starts to have abdominal signs, such as lack of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea then it is a gastrointestinal tract issue. To help settle his stomach, you can give him a human stomach acid reducer. Pepcid, or zantac, are good ones. They sell them at the grocery store. 1/4 tablet, per 10 pound of weight, every 8 hours as needed.

Also monitor his bowel movements. He may be constipated and that can cause hind end pain as well.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he did pass motion this morning and the stools are normal (not loose stools). Does the above diagnosis change with this piece of info ?

That would rule out the gastrointestinal tract.

It is more likely a musculoskeletal issue or anal glands issue.

Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hiro. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby