Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a one year old brown lab 3 weeks ago he was running

I have a one year old brown lab 3 weeks ago he was running and went lame on his rear hind foot- we thought he sprained something- he hobbled for a couple of days and it improved after 7-9 days. 5 days ago he was out in our yard running up and down the fence line- and i noticed he went lame on his other rear leg- now he is putting his leg down but not fully. I checked his legs and between his pads and he does not seem to be in pain when not weight bearing. I pulled a large pussy pimple from his from shoulder 3 days ago and thought maybe this is the result of a tick? Thoughts-

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

This honestly and truly sounds like Lyme or Anaplasma to me. The two big symptoms your dog has: transient lameness in the limbs and the possible tick exposure are both huge red flags when it comes to diagnose these tick borne diseases. There's a website that outlines some of the symptoms here:

One of this problems is that a dog can have a silent infection for years before they become symptomatic...which means he could have gotten a tick on him last summer, it could have transfered the disease and it could have simply been dormant all this time.

I think the best thing to do is to have her tested for tick borne disease. In my opinion, one of the best (and fastest) options for that is the 4DX test. It only takes 3 drops of blood and 8 minutes for you to have a 'for sure' answer. You can read more about 4DX testing here:

I strongly suspect he's going to come up positive. Then it's just a few weeks (usually 31 days, actually) of Doxycycline, and he should be back to normal.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I bring him to the vet tonite or can it wait until am- his behavior is otherwise normal- expept he hobbles about and is less interested in play. He also did not drink today which is why i contacted you.

You can absolutely wait until morning.

No sense in rushing to the expensive emergency vet...he's stable and will remain so until morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome!!