How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1859
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 50 lb golden retriever puppy pulled a grocery list off the

This answer was rated:

My 50 lb golden retriever puppy pulled a grocery list off the fridge and chewed up the flat magnetic strip from the back of it. I found most of it on the floor. He may have swallowed some of it, in small bits, I imagine. Do you think I need to get him to an animal hospital for an xray, or try to get him to throw up (he ate it sometime in the night) or just wait and see>

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

What a naughty puppy! Has he vomited at all since last night? is he eating and drinking ok?

Customer:

He has not vomited. I have a feeling he chewed it up in the early morning hours. I know how to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide if you think I should do that.

Customer:

He is eating and drinking and running around and pooping ok so far.

Dr. G. :

The problem with the magnets is that they can become a foreign body, meaning they can get stuck along the GI tract. They are otherwise non toxic. Do you think it was mainly tiny pieces?

Customer:

I found one piece that was about an inch by an inch and a half and a lot of smaller, really tiny chewed up bits. My major concern has to do with something I saw about how small magnets can attract each other in there and glue bits of the bowel together that should be free to function.

Customer:

I am happy to hear that they are non-toxic!

Customer:

Maybe I should have tried to make him throw up before I took him out on a walk!

Customer:

I did not start looking things up on-line until we got back.

Dr. G. :

I think there is a possibility that those pieces could become lodged in the future. I would recommend an x-ray today to see where they are. if they were eaten last night, they are likely out of the stomach and moving through the intestines

Dr. G. :

at that point, as long as the x-rays don't show a blockage, they will likely pass without any problem, maybe some diarrhea or blood in the stool

Customer:

Ok, thank you so much for your help. I will do that.

Dr. G. and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to an emergency clinic with the puppy and had an Xray done. He had chewed the bit of the magnetic strip into small enough pieces that the


vet was not overly concerned.


 


they recommended a bland, high fiber diet for a couple of days. He is doing fine.

Great! I am so glad to hear he is doing well.