ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

hi i got a shih tzu is there anything i can give him for diarrea,

hi i got a shih tzu is there anything i can give him for diarrea, and does'nt want to eat our
veterinary is not evailable until tuesday i don't think i can wait.

I am sorry Snoopy isn't feeling well.

How long has he had diarrhea? Can you see any blood in it?

Is he straining to have a bowel movement?

How long has it been since he has eaten?

Are you seeing any vomiting?

How is his activity level?

Could he have ingested anything? Toys? people food?

Let me know and I will try to help.....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I notice that yes he was a little strain the diarrhea started yesterday my son says he found a mango mold seed in his little house I don't know if he's been chewing on it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot no vomiting and no blood

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly :). I am glad that there is no vomiting, but I am concerned that he is having diarrhea and is not as interested in his food as normal. You have two choices here: You can monitor him and have him seen by an emergency vet if he develops other symptoms (vomiting, belly pain, gurgling noises from belly), or you can take him straight to the ER now, and try to nip whatever this is in the bud. There are many, many things that can cause GI upset in a dog, most of which you are probably aware of. Giving over the counter medicines to treat GI upset is usually not helpful, and can sometimes make the dog feel worse. If the diarrhea was mild, and was not accompanied by any other symptoms, I would say it was probably ok to wait until monday or tuesday to have him seen. But diarrhea and lack of or decreased appetite in a small dog worries me. These little guys do not have size on their side, and they cannot afford to lose fluids through diarrhea and not take in nutrients with food at the same time. If you are able to get Snoopy to eat on his own, that is good, and might mean it's ok to wait to have him seen. If you offer him any food and he turns away from it, lip smacks, drools, burps or gags, it means he is nauseated and should not be fed or offered any food. At this point you will need to have him seen right away. Sometimes you never discover the cause of the symptoms, but they can and usually will worsen and compound over time. Seeing the vet today can save you money and Snoopy discomfort. You know him best, XXXXX XXXXX is reasonable to watch him for today and have him seen if he starts to feel worse. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck with Snoopy, I hope he feels better soon and that nothing too serious is going on with him.