Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

Hi Jane, We have a 10 month old Shar-Pei puppy and she

Hi Jane,
We have a 10 month old Shar-Pei bitch puppy and she is expressing a lot of the symptoms of pancreatitis. The symptoms started over a week ago and although sometimes it looks as if she is getting better, usually she declines at night time. She had tests done but it cleared her of pancreatitis and her initial vomiting has stopped. There is still blood in her faeces but it is black, which I presume is dried blood, but her faeces is still runny. We gave her natural unsweetened yoghurt tonight, on vets recommendation to try settle her stomach and increase good bacteria but she is very much still struggling. She is very restless and more so tonight having a hard time getting comfortable. Is it normal for a dog to be in this state for 8-9 days? Prior to her falling ill, for a few days she had extremely awful gas (farts!!) Is there any other insight you may be able to give us on this.
Thank you in advance.
Mike and Sharon
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry Belle is unwell.

It is frustrating she has been unwell for a few days and the clinical signs of pancreatitis and general abdominal pain can be similar.

It is promising the vomiting has stopped as this important and hopefully this will persist.

The black faeces indicates bleeding in the small intestines, so this is digested blood.
The causes of such clinical signs include severe gastro enteritis, ulceration, obstructive intestinal disease (foreign body) or infiltration disease such as cancer (very unusual in such a young dog) we can also see it with some hormonal disorders but again unusual in young dogs.

Given the meleana (black faeces) I would be using some gastro protectants and antacids such as sucralfate and ranitidine respectively, this will speed up recovery if the lesion causing the bleeding is in a location that these drugs will affect (stomach and early small intestine).

It is important to feed a bland food selecting a protein (chicken, turkey, white fish, scrambled eggs, low fat cottage cheese) and a carbohydrate (mashed potatoe, sweet potatoe, rice, pasta).

Pain relief will be needed as you mention she is receiving tramadol this should provide appropriate relief from abdominal pain.

But, if clinical signs are persisting then she should be reviewed and the diagnosis reassessed, it is important to rule out a foreign body etc so imaging maybe needed and repeat blood testing to see if things have changed (blood tests are not 100% accurate or specific).

Good luck and I hope she recovers quickly,

Regards

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Dan, thank you for your prompt reply. I have just a couple of other questions if possible.

Belle is a Shar Pei and we have experience with high protein effecting other dogs we have had poorly ie Shar Pei fever. For this reason I don't think a high protein food is a good idea. Which of the foods you mentioned would you suggest to be the best for a dog such as a Shar Pei? Ie low protein that won't have a big impact.

Also the tramadol seems to be making her very drowsy, should we switch to something less affecting and if so what would you recommend?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Sharon

Glad to be of help and no problem answering these questions.

The diet mentioned is only temporary (hopefully for a few days) until gastrointestinal function normalises and we are confident Belle has recovered. Its purpose is just to be a bland highly digestible diet that the intestines will not struggle digesting but will also allow opportunity for the intestines to heal no inflammation to settle. So I wouldn't personally worry about the individual foods protein content. If you wanted to chose one though I would maybe go for the white fish as I imagine this would have the lowest protein component along with the chicken/turkey.

Tramadol can cause profound sedation and there is a very individual response and reaction to it.

Unfortunately the dose range for tramadol is quite wide ranging from 2-5mg per kg bodyweight 2-3 times a day.

The reason tramadol is used is it has very little potential effect on the intestines. Drugs such as non steroidal anti inflammatory medications (commonly used in dogs for pain) can cause gastric and intestinal inflammation and ulceration which as you can imagine would be completely contra-indicated in Belles case. So you could try lowering the dose or miss a dose and assess the need for pain relief.

Good luck

Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon