Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Babysitting my grandson. Changed diaper, ran upstairs to put

Babysitting my grandson. Changed diaper, ran upstairs to put him in his crib. Came back down about 15 minutes later and discover a very empty container of Triple Paste, medicated ointment for diaper rash. My 28 lb terrier mix consumed about 5oz. The label states it contains 12.8% Zinc Oxide, white petrolatum, conr starch, anhydrous lanolin, beeswax. Should I take him to the 24-hour animal hospital? Thank you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I just signed on and had seen your question. Your concern is very valid. Zinc toxicity is dangerous and can cause a problem called Hemolitic Anemia. The dog may start vomiting, diarrhea, gums get pale, and weakeness/lethargy. With ingesting the amount of Cream with Zinc Oxide it would be wise to have the dog to the ER to go through some boold work and Detox. They most likley will start a charcoal lavage and try and get as much out of the system. This is some information on Zinc Poisoning: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/zinc-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx I hope this information is helpful and your dog will be fine. Please let meknow if you have further questions. Joan