Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  After over a decade as a veterinarian I know peace of mind about your furry friend is priceless.

My 11 year old westie wakes up and throws up yellow pile every

My 11 year old westie wakes up and throws up yellow pile every night. During the day he is fine; eating well, no accidents in the house. He is slowing down and sleeps more than he used to. But I am worried about his being sick at night.
Hello. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will my best to answer your questions.

I'm sorry Coconut is worrying you. A trip to your vet for a complete physical exam and blood tests are in order - as should be done with all older dogs every 6 months.

In the meantime, the signs you describe are of an acid stomach. This can be caused by an empty stomach or an overproduction of stomach acid which sometimes happens as dogs get older.

There are two things you can try:

- Feed a light meal just before bed so the stomach is not empty overnight, but this can lead to a change in bowel habits so may not be practical (if he poops a few hours after eating you'll be up overnight to let him out), or,

- Use the over the counter medication Pepcid AC (famotidine), the generic is fine but just make sure the only active ingredient is famotidine. The regular strength tab is 10mg and the max strength is 20mg. Please give by mouth, 10mg per 20 pounds of body weight. You may repeat this every 12 - 24 hours. This medication reduces stomach acid so it will settle the stomach and, hopefully, stop this vomiting. I recommend beginning every 12 hours and as the vomiting stops go to once daily in the evening. This is my favorite treatment for this.

Slowing down and sleeping more can be normal for an 11 year old, but let your vet make sure there's nothing else going on.

Please feel free to write if you have other questions or concerns, even after rating my answer. I know reading the answer sometimes raises more questions.

All the best,
Dr B