Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Our 12 year old Golden just had his second seizure about 5

Our 12 year old Golden just had his second seizure about 5 minutes and lost bladder control. Last one Aug 2012- emergency found nothing then.
Any suggestions?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Douglas.
Seizures are generally caused by:
1. Intra-cranial disease (something inside the head including infections, inflammatory conditions, and cancer)
2. Extra-cranial disease (anything outside of the head including organ problems like liver disease, infections, electrolyte abnormalities that can be caused by endocrine disease like Addison's, cancer)

Treatment for seizures does not necessarily start immediately. A life-long medication like Phenobarbital or Potassium Bromide is considered when:
The seizures last for 4-5 minutes or longer, causing increased concern for brain injury
If they occur in clusters
If they are increasing in frequency

Now, douglas has not had a seizure in quite awhile. But, since he has had another one and it lasted quite awhile, you will want to get into a vet as soon as possible for evaluation.

Initial testing usually includes a basic blood profile, which should be done immediately.

If a blood test does not reveal any abnormalities, additional testing would possibly include:
- to check for evidence of inflammation or infection within the spinal cord or brain.

If he is doing fine now, and has a normal behavior and mentation, an emergency vet visit may not be necessary. But, if another seizure occurs, it is quickly an emergency. Try to get into a vet for some updating testing to see if there is a cause for this most recent seizure event.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.