Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hello Lisa, My dog eat two pieces godiva dark chocolate

Hello Lisa,

My dog eat two pieces godiva dark chocolate truffles. I looked online and it said 1.4 oz for 4 pieces. She does not act sick..she is running around. Should i take her to the vet?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
How long ago did Bailey eat them?

Roughly, how much does Bailey weigh?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bailey weighs about 14-15 pounds. I left about 5pm and came back around 930. And that is when I found the two candy wrappers on the floor. She eat two piece of godiva dark chocolate truffles. When I went to the net it said 4 pieces was a serving at that was 1.4 oz for 4 pieces.

She acts like she okay.. wanting me to feed her.. but he does that all the time.

Okay Stephanie,
Here's the problem:
If it were ingested within the past 1 hour, we would have had an option to induce vomiting. Since we really don't know I would have to advise against inducing vomiting.

Now, these chocolate truffles are not pure dark chocolate, which is good.
But, utilizing a chocolate toxicity calculator, even 1 ounce of dark chocolate has the potential to induce vomiting or bad diarrhea.

So, right now, if she is seeming perfectly normal, great.
But, you'll will need to closely observe her over the next few hours.
Symptoms of concern would include:
- vomiting and diarrhea (diarrhea may not occur until up to 48 hours later)
- very fast heart rates (you can feel over her chest and if over 140 at rest that is a concern)
- hyperexcitability

If there is any combination of the above especially if she seems agitated, hyperexcitable, or really fast heart rate, then a vet visit is well worth it.

But, depending on how much is truly dark chocolate, it is quite possible that you may not observe any symptoms at all.

Very sorry to hear what happened. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I feed her something. If she does not show any symptoms of what you listed. Can I assume she is okay? She is sitting here.. She panting like she does.. but she is not running around. Just after food... lol.

I would say there is a good chance the problems like accelerated heart rate problems or even tremors is past after about 6 hours. Still some concern, and definitely maybe some diarrhea.

yes, but if you give some food, just her regular diet. Nothing else.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question dr. She does not want her dog food. Can i give her a greenie or dog ice cream? Is there anything I can give her since she wont eat her dog food?

No greenie and no dog ice cream.
Cannot risk any digestive upset from one of those, and then not knowing what is causing what.

I would not give anything. No need for her to eat the rest of the evening.

If she has not eaten or you think she is nauseated you could give an antacid. But, if she already ate dinner, don't give anything else.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?