Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog (8yr old greyhound) has had a thicker liquid than normal

My dog (8yr old greyhound) has had a thicker liquid than normal coming from his penial sheath. I have been keeping an eye on it for over a week. 5 days ago I irrigated him with an iv bag. That seemed to have fixed the problem until tonight. There was more pus and its thicker and more yellow. I also noticed some dried pus on his leg and belly from when he was lying down. He is eating and drinking, and he is in no pain during urination. What do you suggest I do now?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ship.

Absolutely, I think you have no choice. This is strongly suggestive of a prepucial infection, and definitely needs to be treated from the inside out. The irrigation was fine to perform to help decrease the bacterial load, but he really needs antibiotics!

So, I would schedule an exam with your primary vet tomorrow, or any other vet. I would also strongly encourage a basic urine test to ensure there is no concurrent bladder infection as well.

Great that everything else is okay, but clearly the at home care isn't going to get the job done.
Sorry to hear about this concern for Ship. Definitely, too much pustular discharge being produced. Well worth getting the broad-spectrum antibiotic for at least a 10-14 day course.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.