Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

my dog ate 1/2 of my wifes 75 mg effexor tablet (she breaks

my dog ate 1/2 of my wife's 75 mg effexor tablet (she breaks them in half) about 20 minutes ago. our dog weighs 30 lbs is a lab puppy. we don't have any peroxide to induce vomiting. should we take her to the vet?

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ Years.

If you do not have Peroxide, it would be wise to get Bailey into the Vet asap to use Apomorphine to induce vomiting. Effexor is an anti depressant works on Serotonin in the brain. I have seen Serotonin Syndrome occur. This link goes over some of the problems we see: I would get her in so they can induce vomiting and monitor her for any further problems. Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The vet had told us it would be absorbed in her system in 30 minutes. So is inducing vomiting going to help at this point?

What they will do is an activated charcoal lavage and monitor her vitals. This medication can cause agitation, low temperature, high temeprature, seizures and other problems. I have seen some bad results with this type of medication. I just feel it would be wise because a charcoal lavage would help bind the toxins and monitoring temp and heart rate is very important. Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, thank you.

You are welcome the sooner she gets in they can start to detox her and then monitor her vitals. Please let me know how she does. Joan

Hi Brian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We called the ASPCA poison control and they said the dose wasn't a fatal dose and to just monitor her for 6-8 hours so we didn't take her to the hospital. She is doing fine now. Thanks

We never know with a medication that is not given to a dog, if there will be any problems. I am glad she is doing well! Joan