Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi Candy, Thank you so much for spending your time providing

Hi Candy, Thank you so much for spending your time providing this service. i am relatively certain that my rescue dog, Charlie, now the love of my life, will soon need vertebral surgery. I work at Captain D's and barely support myself. I live in Statesboro, Ga. Who/where should I start so I can be prepared should he need sudden surgery. ( he is hospitalized now with his fifth episode of severe neck pain). Thank you so much ! Fran [email protected]( I am using my Mom's computer right now).(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Hello, Fran

I know how troubling it can be to know that surgery may be needed but worried about the funding. Please give me just a few minutes to see what I can find for you in way of financial aid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Take a day or two if you need to. I am assuming that the above is not the 35.00 response:)
It will only take a few minutes I have a pretty extensive list I just have to go through it and then type it up. No the above it just to let you know I am working on it for you your deposit is held in your account until I provide an answer and you provide a rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you

You are very welcome and I am glad I was here to help.

Care Credit. This is a low/no interest credit card used at the vet. You or a family member could apply LINK

Here is a link that has some other agencies that may be able to help. Link

Here are 2 agencies that help specifically with spinal surgery for dachshunds
Dachshunds Needing IVDD surgery
Disabled Dachshund Society,

RedRover Relief
RedRover Relief provides financial assistance grants and additional resources so pet owners and rescuers can care for animals who need urgent veterinary care. Visit for eligibility requirements and application.

The Pet Fund
The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care. Often animals are put down or suffer needlessly because their owners cannot afford expensive surgery or emergency vet visits. Companion animal owners must often make the difficult decision to put an animal down or neglect urgent medical needs because of the costs involved. The purpose of the Pet Fund is to work towards a future where decisions about companion animal medical care need never be made on the basis of cost."

Here is an agency in GA PALS - Pets Are Loving Support,
Here is another,
Daffy's Pet Soup Kitchen: Lilburn (pet food and supplies, spay/neuter assistance, temporary foster program, assistance for necessary veterinary medical care)

I would start with these. Finding financial aid is not always easy and it does take some work you may have to get funds from more then one agency but it is out there.

I would also consider starting a fund raiser with and ask friends and family to help.

Another option would be to discuss this with your vet now and start making small payments to them now so that when surgery is needed at least some of the funds are already there.

I hope this helps. Please keep me posted and I hope Charlie feels better soon.

Hi Fran Johnson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?