Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

I just gave my two boxers Revolution today, and this evening

I just gave my two boxers Revolution today, and this evening they had a massive altercation. Could this medication have caused aggression in the dogs?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about your boys and the fight they got in. Unfortunately one of the side effects of revolution is increased irritability and aggression. This can last a few days after application. They may have never had a problem before and can suddenly develop a sensitivity to revolution or any topical medications like this. So i would be hesitant to use this product again in the future. I would talk to your vet about switching to an oral heart worm medication and then your options for flea and tick control. You can try to give them benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours for the next few days to minimize the effects you may see from this reaction. It should calm them down some and minimize aggression. I would keep them separate while you are not able to supervise them for the next few days also to prevent serious injuries if they have another altercation. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Whitehead --- thank you so much. I was almost positive that "something" triggered this aggression.

We're keeping both separated right now --- both kind of banged up --- one nasty laceration on forehead and under eye; the other gashes on his paw. They're both sleeping right now, and we'll keep a watch on them both.

Thank you so much for your confirming diagnosis ---- I knew it was the revolution!

You are very welcome. This type of reaction is rare but it does occur. You can call the manufacturer and file an adverse reaction report also. They like to know when this occurs.
If you have any further questions or concerns I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You're response is so appreciated. I most definitely will contact the manufacturer --- my husband was also injured and was rushed to the ER.

Thank you so much for confirming my suspicion of what could have caused this confrontation.

Ohh gosh I hope your husband is ok. I am sorry to hear that. You are welcome again. I hope all is peaceful from now on.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky & Mugsey. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are amazing --- my own doctor should be so attentive to my medical needs!

The boys are just fine. Both licking each others wounds, eating out of the same bowls (as usual), sleeping together cuddled up like bugs in a rug, and back to being "best friends".

I did speak with the manufacturer today --- they were "interested" to a degree; concerned I don't really believe.

The one issue they dwelled upon was the fact that I purchased the Revolution via "on line" and not through a certified vet ---- which I find an attempt to distance themselves from responsibility. Their response was that it could have been a compromised product and possibility "counterfeit" --- yeah I guess 1800 PetMeds would jeopardize they're

business with "counterfeit" products and medications. I think not.

Once again, thank you for your concern for our two very special "rescue" boys Mugsey & Rocky ---- both now living in a very loving and caring home ---- with owners who will go the distance to protect them.

I am very happy to hear they are recovering! If you need anything else please let me know.