Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog seems to have the hiccups (his throat constricts really

Customer Question

My dog seems to have the hiccups (his throat constricts really hard) and in the middle of the night really wanted to go outside and ate some grass.

He still has his normal appetite and is drinking plenty of water. He's energetic as normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Hiccups are not that uncommon in dogs and just like with humans they are not normally something we get to concerned over.
The eating grass is often associated with nausea and when a dog is nausea they will often swallow more then normal causing them to swallow air resulting in hiccups.

As long as he is otherwise acting normal there are some things you can do at home.
Try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours to reduce the nausea.

It may be that we need to figure out what is causing the nausea. The most common causes would be
* Diet changes, new foods, treats or human foods
* Eating something he should not have
* Problems with the liver or kidney ( not likely at this young age)

I would try the Pepcid and see if this helps at all by reducing the stomach acid and reducing any nausea. If he has had any recent changes to his diet I would go back to what he was eating or stop feeding this if it is treats or human foods.

If he stops eating,attempts to vomit with nothing coming up, develops diarrhea or stops producing stool or he declines in any way then I would have him seen by your vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hi Annie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Radar. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Candy,

Thank you for the follow-up. Radar was much better when I got home (go figure) so I bought the pepcid but have yet to need to give it to him. We went on two long walks this weekend and so far so good. I will keep the medication just in case it happens again since he was very distressed at the time.

Thank you again for the support - I guess all I needed was to talk to someone for him to get better (isn't it always the case!)

Have a wonderful evening,

Annie

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
We see it all the time in the clinic the pets walks in and suddenly they are fine.. The good news is that you have not needed the medication and I am happy to hear that. Having Pepcid on hand is always a must for a pet first aid kit so glad you have it now if needed.

Give him a good belly rub from me and tell him I am so glad he is feeling better.