Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Is this true that adding water to dry kibbles can cause bloat?

Is this true that adding water to dry kibbles can cause bloat? Thanks
Hi Amanda,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There are many potential causes for bloat. According to some sites food high in citrus acid if moistened can lead to a higher chance of bloat. Let me give you a site that goes over bloat in detail.

You can reduce the chances of your dog developing bloat by not allowing your dog to gulp air or eat too fast. Avoid excessive exercise after eating including jumping around and try and keep your dog calm. Keep simethicone product around such as gas-x.

The following lists the dosage information for Gas-x as 1 adult dose for large dogs. If bloat suspected, then 2 doses should be administered.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

Dosage information for gas-x can be found on this site. It states the adult dosage is 40 to 125 mg four times a day but not to exceed 500mg per day.

http://www.drugs.com/cons/gas-x.html

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.