Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

after clipping an overgrown dew claw the groomer missed, I

after clipping an overgrown dew claw the groomer missed, I can't pull the clipped part out of the paw pad. It seems to be embedded. Both my husband and I each tried to pull once with our fingers. Our little dog was extremely distressed. I'm hoping she will bite/chew/lick it out. Not sure if I should leave her for a few days, or take her to the vet immediately. The pad is swollen
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about your girls nail. If the nail is grown into the pad then it will need to be removed as soon as you can get her to the vet. You do not need to rush her into the vet tonight but first thing in the morning you will need to. I would not let her lick or chew at it as she will actually do more damage to her foot trying to get it out then any good. You can give her a little break and try again to gently but firmly pull it out of her pad. It may take a big of gentle pressure to pull it out and unfortunately it will hurt her for a short period of time but it needs to come out. If you can grab it gently with a small hemostats (small pliers) if you have them this can help. You do not want to yank it obviously but pull gently. If you do get it out then clean the area with warm soapy water and it will bleed for a bit but it will stop. Bleeding is good that will help flush dirt and bacteria out. But if you cannot get it out then you can gently wrap/bandage the area so she doesn't bug it and it doesn't get caught on anything and cause any more pain until you can get her to the vet in the morning. So again try to pull it again it will take more pressure than you think and like i said she may cry but once it is out she will feel much better. and if you cannot get it out wrap it and have her seen first thing in the morning. They will clean it out and place her on some antibiotics to help prevent infection. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I am able to get the nail out, should I still take her to the vet for antibiotics? I will try again, but I think I will rip her paw pad by pulling it. It is definitely in there. Should I still try again?

You can try again and try to pull it out in the same direction if possible that it grew in if you can so you can avoid tearing the pad. But if you can get it out and clean it up then watch it for a couple days. If it appears to be healing normally then you do not need to take her in to the vet. But if it is not healing well then definitely have her seen. But try to remove it again the best you can but again if you can't get it out then wrap it gently and have her seen in the morning.