Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

I have a toy poodle that appears to have a spinal injury, she

Customer Question

I have a toy poodle that appears to have a spinal injury, she has not been able to get up for over 3 weeks. The local vet has xray har spine and it seems to be a prolapsed disc. she does not appear to be in pain now , if i stand her up she can walk slowly with her back legs stiff and her front legs are not quite right either. Our vet says it is now beyond him, so i have and appointment for a specialist next week, thinking of a chiro and i do think maybe some nerve pinched ,maybe. Was on pain killers, and anti inflamitory too, now nothing. can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 8 months ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Muffy. It definitely sounds like she has a bulging or ruptured disk. That is good that she can still move her hind legs but it is concerning that she has not improved in 3 weeks. Usually at this time if you do not see improvement then it may require surgery to go in there and remove the disk that is pressing on her spinal chord. Usually when they have movement still in their legs though that aggressive medical treatment can definitely help. This requires strict cage confinement and rest. In a crate for at least 4 weeks. Only outside to go potty and then back in the crate no exceptions because any activity can cause the disk to rupture more and reverse any healing the body does. I also place them on steroids for at least 4 weeks this is the strongest anti inflammatory drug and definitely helps in most cases like these. I also do a muscle relaxant to help with pain and a pain med that will help her be comfortable and relax. And like i said i stick with this program for at least 4 weeks at a minimum. So this may still be an option after discussing her case with the specialist. they will do some specialized neuro tests with her during the exam to help localize where the back issue is and then discuss further testing such as MRI or CT scan. I would NOT recommend a chiropractor. This can be detrimental and do irreversible injury to a dog that has a ruptured disk. Your best option at this time is the specialist and they may suggest some more aggressive medical management like i discussed or possibly surgery since she hasn't improved. So basically this is caused by the disk that are between he vertebrae that provide cushion in the spine. This disk ruptures and extrudes material against the spinal chord putting pressure on it causing the loss of the use of her legs and pain. So its like a pinched nerve but much more serious. So i hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Hi Vicki,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Muffy. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

She is happy enough in herself, but still is unable to get up. I took your advice and cancelled the chiro,and am seeing the specialist this wednesday. she is only walking when i carry her out to the toilet. thank goodness she is only a small dog.she does seem a little more relaxed while she still does walk slowly. Eating is fairly good. she manages to do 360 degrees on her blanket so ahe can see what i am doing.

thanks for inquiring about her.

regards vicki

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

thanks for inquiring about her.

regards vicki

I am glad to hear you are going to see the specialist. I hope she recovers quickly.