Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi,My dog has dry hard skin near both ear entrance, where

Hi, My dog has dry hard skin near both ear entrance, where he is loosing hair. he also has it on his armpits. it feels very dry lumpy. He also has a bump on his head where he has lost hair.

He is a 11 year old Pomeranian cross Chihuahua. his fur is no longer smooth but dry and frizzy Any suggestions? his vet is saying its from old age. I've also notice that he's not as energetic as he was a few months ago and that he eats alot and does not like to walk (he used love walking)

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I don't think this is just due to old age. I would bet that there is some type of endocrine disease process going on. There are two common ones that are worth ruling out:

1. Hypothyroidism- this causes weight gain, decreased metabolism, lethargy and poor hair/ nail growth. We diagnose it with a thyroid blood profile. We treat with thyroid supplements.

2. Cushing's- this causes increased thirst/ urination, increased appetite, muscle breakdown, panting and changes in hair/ skin turnover. We diagnose it by checking adrenal gland function and cortisol secretion- it will be high. We treat with meds to suppress the adrenal gland function.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your answer

He has been putting weight on, and drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. Sometimes he will be walking and he will be dripping urine out. Ive attached a photo as well. he has these patches on both sides of the head.

Is it possible that he can have both?

That skin looks infected. I would guess he has Cushing's and a secondary skin infection. Cushingoid dogs have a weakened immune system and they're more prone to infections.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess I'll have to get a second vet to have a look at him.

What sort of meds does he require for this?

There are two that can be used- Lysodren (Mitotane) or Trilostane. Both are effective. Trilostane is a bit safer, but doesn't work quite as well. Most people use Lysodren.
Hi Nik,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I took him to a different vet yesterday. The new vet came up with cushings as well and suggested we do a blood test first - we will get the results back on Monday - and based on the result's we'll decide if we need to test for cushings as you suggested,

That sounds like a good plan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

You're welcome.