Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My chihuaha ripped her dew claw, it was on by ltterally a thread.

My chihuaha ripped her dew claw, it was on by ltterally a thread. During us cleaning the wound the strand broke and the claw is completely off. Will it heal with cleaning and dressing or will it be an exposed quick causing pain forever?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This happens a lot. We treat these dogs by removing the nail and then letting the new nail grow in place of it. It will take a good few weeks, but a new nail will grow normally.

I would put a light foot wrap on the foot for 24-48 hours. You can use Kwik stop or flour or corn starch to help stop any bleeding. After 24-48 hours, the pain should be less and you can remove the wrap. It's non-painful after the first few days and then you just wait for the new nail to grow out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, it will b done. This is a really cool service, i beleive it should b a 9.99 price point and u would attract a lot more customers. 15 is a very unattractive number (sorry, used to b in advertising) but great none-the-less. Thanks again!

You're very welcome.

I am not in charge of prices, but I'll pass this along to those in customer service.