Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

My dog seems to have an intestinal problem., he has shown signs

My dog seems to have an intestinal problem., he has shown signs of discomfort for the last 5 hours and has not been to the toilet all day . The only comfortable position for him is with his front legs outstretched, his chest on the floor & him bottom sticking up. He hasn't eaten anything unusual.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. This is definitely a posture that can come with significant abdominal pain, namely pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a disorder where the pancreas becomes inflamed which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, fever (typically greater than 104.0), abdominal pain, etc. The symptoms tend to progress and can be aggravated by consumption of food. This is one of those situations, where I would definitely consider a vet visit. Your vet is likely to look at bloodwork and xrays as an initial series of tests. Treatment is often include supportive care with IV fluids, antibiotics, pain management, etc. There is no good way to attempt to treat this at home as these dogs can go downhill pretty fast.
Other abdominal issues that are also possible include gastritis (inflamed stomach) parasites, intussusception, obstruction, etc.
Your vet will also investigate these issue if deemed necessary.

It is also possible that this could be a sign of spinal pain, but it would be a strange presentation.
Frankly, I would have him seen in the morning if not sooner as pancreatitis can progress pretty fast.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything I can do to ease the discomfort until the local vets open., the dogs just standing, unable to lie down.
Unfortunately, there is no over the counter option I can provide. Ibuprofen, tylenol, etc are toxic in dogs. Aspirin has been used from time to time, but this could actually make things worse.
If you are going to try anything, you could try a tablespoon of maalox every 4-6 hours. If this is from an upset stomach (not pancreatitis) if could help, but it will probably not be significant.
If this is a gastitis, or developing ulcer, you could see a benefit to using pepcid AC (famotidine) twice daily. Again, temper your expectation, but it may be worth a try.
I hope this helps.
Hi Richard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Joe. How is everything going?

Doctor Jeff