Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 13 year old jack russel, Patch has been very sick for 5

My 13 year old jack russel, Patch has been very sick for 5 weeks now. He has had watery diarrhea with mucus. He is very lethargic and does not want to eat. I have had him to the vet 6 times today they did an ultrasound and found nothing. He has had numerous blood test, fecal examine, xrays all negative. He goes out to urinate and then I hear loud sounds of gas passing then he squats to try to poop and mucus comes out. He has been on steroids, flagyl and pepcid... what can I do to get him better? Please help... I am searching the internet for answers... going to take him back to the vet tomorrow
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you may be dealing with some type of colon mass or cancer to cause this degree of diarrhea for so long. I would want to do a colonoscopy on him, as that is the best way of making the diagnosis. X-rays and ultrasound will often be normal in these dogs. The bloodwork is also typically normal.

A colonoscopy should give you an answer and allow for a biopsy sample to diagnose it. The treatment going forward would then either be surgery to remove a mass or chemotherapy- it depends on the diagnosis.

I would talk to your vet about this test and see if they can do it or if they refer those dogs out to a veterinary internal medicine specialist.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so the abdominal US would not show a mass? How much is the typical costs for a colonscopy?

Some masses show up very well with US- liver, splenic, lymph nodes. When assiciated with the intestine or colon, it's not always easy to pick them up.

A colonoscopy is probably going to run ~ 500-700.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Gary... what can I do to make Patch more comfortable? what is the lifespan once diagnosed?

It really depends on the diagnosis. Some can be cured with surgery. Some may only live months after the diagnosis.