catzanddogz
catzanddogz, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Veterinarian and a pet owner. I have practiced cat and dog clinical medicine for over 25 years.
75340398

My terrier Mix 16 pound dog has no tears in one eye.What is

My terrier Mix 16 pound dog has no tears in one eye.What is the best eye wash and lubricant that you know.

catzanddogz :

Hello I am Dr. Andrea Russo and I am happy to answer your questions about Baby. I'd like a little more information is possible - Has Baby had any previous or current medications for this condition? Was it diagnosed by your vet using a tear test? Has there been any mucous or thicker, greenish discharge from this eye? Is the other eye perfectly fine?

Customer:

I took her to a eye specialist.He confirmed no tears.Its been a while since I saw him .Very expensive.He had his own formula that he mixed.I took to another Vet when I moved and she had her own mix ,also very expensive.It worked Ok.I then got her a natural all natural ingredients and it worked real good but I dont remember the name.I have been looking On E-Bay And have not found anything to get Exited about.The other eye is fine.She gets a little white mucos daily and if I dont keep up with her cleaning it will get a little green.I would like to find an all natural product.I have used Vetericyn ophthalmic gel she does not like its real thick and hard to apply.Can you help

catzanddogz :

Hi, I'm guessing that the expensive product was a form of Cyclosporine drops. These drops are thick and in an oil base and are applied twice daily. This is the most effective medication for "dry eye" and if the tear gland is functioning at all, it is helpful to prevent further deterioration to tear production.

catzanddogz :

You can also use over the counter drops such as SoothXP or Optive, Blink, Refresh - there are many available - they do not help the tear gland to produce tears - they only add lubrication and help keep the eye dry. They don't last long - you can experiment with the thicker ones vs those that are not as thick and see which work better.

catzanddogz :

There is one available without preservatives called Celluvisc, but nothing truly "natural" that has long lasting effects.

catzanddogz :

Rinsing the eyes with plain saline solution - that is sterile and designed for contact lens wearers will help cleans the eye of mucous but won't help make more tears. If you want to use this also - get one without preservatives - Unisol.

catzanddogz :

You may see something in the health food store called Similasan's Dry Eye Relief - this is not recommended because the ingredients include Belladona, which is not helpful for dry eye.

catzanddogz :

Sometimes dry eye is worse during certain seasons for some dogs. It also can start in one eye but eventually affects both.

catzanddogz :

Correction: I meant help keep the eye WET

catzanddogz :

I will add one thing, I have "dry eye" myself and my ophthalmologist recommended that I take Omega Fatty Acids as an oral supplement. You can find an omega fatty acid/fish oil type supplement made specifically for dogs in more stores that have pet supplies or online and try giving this also.

I'm just checking in to see if you have any additional questions or concerns about Baby.
Dr. Russo