Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi there. My dog had diarrhea on Sunday after I gave her a

Hi there. My dog had diarrhea on Sunday after I gave her a bone (it was meant for dogs, got it from the grocery store). I noticed blood in her stool on Monday, so I took her to the vet and they put her on anti-diarrhea medicine. Her energy is good and she is eating and drinking (bland diet of chicken and rice), but she has not defecated since the diarrhea on Monday. Is this just because of the medication? The vet wants me to use the meds for 7 days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear BB is having some trouble.

It is not uncommon for some anti diarrheal medications to cause constipation after a few days and the rice will further harden the stool.It is also not uncommon to see a reduced amount of stool when on a bland diet because the body is using most of the nutrients and there is less to expel.

I would give your vet a call and let them know that she is now not passing stool at all and they may have you discontinue the medication( depending on what it is ) or the bland diet.

As long as she is eating and drinking normally and not having any vomiting then I would not worry to much ( still call the vet) If she stops eating, goes more then 4 days without passing stool, has vomiting soon after eating or seems painful in the abdomen then your vet may want to do x rays just to be sure that if she ingested any of the bone it has not become lodged in the intestinal tract.

I hope this helps and she is back to her old self soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.