Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My puppy is 4 1/2 months old and has been in the animal hospital

My puppy is 4 1/2 months old and has been in the animal hospital for 3 days now. We took him in because he was vomiting a lot and was not eating. He also had diarrhea. He came out negative for Parvo, high white blood cell count, xrays showed everything was fine. He is on fluids and antibiotics but is still not eating on his own. Our vet says he just needs time to heal but he is still looking distraught and glommy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I'm sorry to hear that Ed isn't feeling well. It's always hard to have a sick companion, and I think it's made worse when it's such a youngster and the reason they're sick is a mystery.

From the elevated white count, it's obvious there is an infection going on somewhere in Ed. The good news is that the Parvo was negative...we hate positive Parvo tests because the majority of times, the pup doens't make it. But with just a random infection, the prognosis is much better.

The thing to remember is that all antibiotics take time to build up to something called a 'therapeutic level'...meaning that with most, it can take up to 72 hours for the level of the antibiotic in the blood stream to build up to a point where it's actually working to fight the infection. Since Ed has been there for 3 days now, those medications have now gotten to a point where they should start working better at bringing down that elevated white count.

I know that it's hard to have your pup at the vet...but I'm confident that he's going to start improving now and will be on his way home to you guys soon!!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That's good news, thank you. He is still vomiting, not as often, but does it after being fed. What could that entail?

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Antibiotics can make a dog nauseated, so that could be part of it. Of course, it could also be simply becuase he's got some infection...think about yourself after you've had the flu...even after you're feeling better for the most part, you might get queasy and feel like vomiting...it could be due to that too.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification