Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hello, My dog hurt his paw. He was in his cage for 10 hours

My dog hurt his paw. He was in his cage for 10 hours two days ago (not usual) and now he is holding his front paw up and limping a bit. What should I look for?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like he may have been pawing at the cage and hurt his paw. This will cause a lameness. You can check over his leg from the toes up to the shoulder. You can flex and extend each joint to see where it hurts. I would also look for any wounds in between the toes.

It sounds like this will heal on it's own. I usually give them 7-10 days of rest and exercise restriction. After that, he can be weaned back to his normal exercise routine.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nemo. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You were right. I checked for visible damage and he seemed ok. I had him rest the paw and did not put him in the cage the rest of the week. He is fine now.

Good deal, thanks for the update.